Sunday, October 31, 2010

Let Us Pray and Mourn Together.

If you are 30 plus we can sympathize together....Think about how much we have had to adapt to (I applaud each and everyone of you.. that ain't Cracked out) and all that has changed in our generation:

  • From the rotary phone to touch tone phones to wireless phones to block cell phones to handheld cell phones, to flip phones (all hail the star tac) to video conferencing and texting (and you know some new shit is on it's way)
  • Pagers (remember 304 upside down! lol)  to two-way pagers (i miss my motorola two way pagers! "Beam Me!!" to side kicks to blackberrys to iphones to twitter! to ??? (any day now!)
  • Slow dancing in the club with dinner dates galore to some 2010 bullshit.
  • Writing on paper to the type writer to the Atari and Macintosh (if your family had money) to Nintendo to Playstation to Dreamcast to X Box to AOL and Microsoft to Apple everything dial up to T1 to high speed wireless, Internet Games and Virtual Reality and all that other stuff I forgot to mention
  • Researching at a library checking out books with your "library card" (remember those?) remember the "card catalog"<---that was our Google..handwriting papers or copying the encyclopedia (lol) to now google and wikipedia (those are actual words in our vocabulary now..) to emailing your friend at another school for their term paper. haaa (at least when we copied we had to rewrite all the words so subconsciously you learned)
  • 8track (for all you old heads!) to albums to cassette tapes to cd to mp3s
  • Remember when TV, Music and the neighborhood could raise you in addition to your parents..
  • Remember when internet dating sounded frightening and corny...
  • Remember when a menage a trois wasn't the norm..
  • Remember being taught "don't judge a book by it's cover" now its "judge and put your comments on the internet."
  • Remember when being a star meant something? Remember when true talent, perfecting your craft wasn't on a milk carton waiting to be found. Now we judge when a celeb does something wrong in their personal life negating the talent and judging them for being "Human Beings"! hello?! they shit stank too! I don't know if NWA really were renegades, I don't know if Tupac was a real "Gangsta" but I know they are true talents. I didn't have the internet to research their rap sheet and their baby mama's and all that other bs.

All these damn changes and we have to still keep up (to keep our jobs, our relationships and integrity for that matter) or a knuckleheaded kid will take our pension and 401 because he/she can configure all the internet applications, network systems, create apps and all that other shit I'm not up on (I'm learning!) So I sympathize, mourn and pray for all of us...but at the pace the world is going I can't wait to ride in my mercedes flying car.

1 comment:

The Party Buzz said...

A moment of silence.Recently while cleaning out my garage I found my old StarTac and Timeport..ha! My 11 year old daughter looked at it and laughed..she said stuff is sooo old school. Never knew how much I would enjoy being an elder statesman of the culture. I survived so much and mourned so many. That now all I can do is, in the words Currency J.E.T.S.( Just Enjoy This Shit) --Tory